AWAY by Michael Gow
WA Youth theatre production
Presented by Act-Belong-Commit
Subiaco Arts Center
Directed by Stuart Halusz
Featuring members of the WA Youth Theatre Company
Set in the summer of 67-68 three families leave the comforts of home for a holiday and return forever changed…this coming of age story explores life, grief, and the enduring qualities of love.
First staged over 30 years ago AWAY has become one of Australia’s most staged plays. It still speaks so much to the Australia of today as we once again find ourselves on the world stage in an alliance with an America in the midst of tensions with a rogue communist country in Asia. AWAY combines an evocative Australian story with truly Shakespearean themes. Gow’s clever and imaginative juxtaposition of these two worlds allows for a huge depth of dramatic action and discovery. The play’s main themes of family, forgiveness and love ensure that Away has been a favourite theatre work for audiences and Australian students studying English, Literature and Drama.
- Tuesday 3rd of October 2pm - PREVIEW
- Wednesday 4th of October 7:30pm - OPENING NIGHT
- Thursday 5th of October 2pm - Matinee
- Thursday 5th of October 7:30pm
- Friday 6th of October 7:30pm
- Saturday 7th of October 2pm - Matinee - AUSLAN INTERPRETED
- Saturday 7th of October 7:30pm - CLOSING NIGHT